Depression is something that many of us are forced to deal with throughout the course of our lives and it is an insidious disorder that causes our minds to work against us. Instead of realizing that we are surrounded by people who love and care about us, we find ourselves believing that the world is a better place without our presence and we recede from the people who matter most…when we should be reaching out.
The feelings of loneliness and helplessness can be very hard to overcome and it may also feel as if there is nothing that can be done to make these feelings go away. A Los Angeles man by the name of Tim watched his wife struggle with depression and he decided that he would give her a wonderful surprise in order to lift up her spirits. She had just taken a trip to San Francisco and was feeling down in the dumps.
Once she re-entered her room, she was greeted by a lovely note that had been left on the mirror by Tim. He made a whole list of reasons why he loves and treasures his wife and when she posted the list he had created on a popular image sharing site known as Imgur, she was quick to show her appreciation for the time that he took to write these kind words.
Tim is her co-pilot in this thing we call life and he is more than happy to guide her through all of the peaks and valleys that tend to take place. Molly is quick to let people know that her depression was not cured by the words that were left on the mirror and that professional care is necessary when we find ourselves experiencing feelings of depression for an extended period of time.
We all can use a little help from time to time and while therapists are able to assist us in a number of different ways, there is simply no substitute for the lift that a note like Tim’s can provide. When you know someone that is struggling to make their way through the fog of depression, taking the time to offer them some kind words can make a world of difference.
She goes on to say, “I’m not saying mental illness is cured by nice words on a mirror,” write Molly on Imgur. “In fact, it takes professional care, love, empathy, sometimes even medication just to cope. Many people struggle with it mental illness – more than we probably even realize….show them kindness and remind them things can and WILL get better. Everyone needs a little help sometimes. If that person can’t be you – see if you have any resources for therapy.”
The list says:
1. she is my best friend
2. she never quits on herself or me
3. she gives me time to work on my crazy projects
4. she makes me laugh, everyday
5. she is gorgeous
6. she accepts the crazy person i am
7. she’s the kindest person i know
8. she’s got a beautiful singing voice
9. she’s gone to a strip club with me
10. she has experienced severe tragedy yet is the most optimistic person about humanity i know
11. she has been fully supportive about my career choices and followed me each time
12. without realizing it, she makes me want to do more for her than i have ever wanted to do for anyone
13. she’s done an amazing job at advancing her career path
14. small animals make her cry
15. she snorts when she laughs