Beloved Dog Becomes Family’s Hero When He Put His Life On The Line To Save Baby

There are times when it seems like our pets just know when something bad is about to happen.

It’s almost like they have a six sense that can detect when it’s going to rain or that a family member is getting injured when they’re nowhere near their beloved pet.

In many ways, our pets become just as much our caretakers as we are to them. They comfort us when we’re having a bad day and share in our joy when we’re having a good one.

One family’s pet took “caretaker” to a whole new meaning after a tragic fire broke out at a Baltimore home.

Erika Poremski ran out to her car to grab something and when she turned around to go back to her house it was up in flames.

Erika rushed back into the house and tried desperately to get to the second floor where her infant daughter Viviana and beloved dog Polo were.

“I tried to keep getting in,” Erika said. “She was up the stairs, but the fire smoke was so heavy I couldn’t get past it… I kept running back out and back in, trying to get up there. Then, the door curling started falling and I couldn’t get back in.”

Erika was unable to get to her baby and neither was the neighbors who came running to help.

In the process, Erika was badly burned but said she didn’t notice the skin melting off her hand because she was frantically trying to get to Viviana.

When firefighters arrived and were able to get to the infant, she only had minor burns because Polo had covered her with his own body, shielding the baby from the flames.

“He was my first baby before Viv. He was like my child,” Erika said. “He followed us everywhere.”

Watch Their Story:

Although Polo was lost his act of bravery will remain with Erika forever. She said she definitely wished she knew then what she knows know because she believes he was trying to warn her earlier in the day.

“That day of the fire, he was acting weird all day,” she says. “I even told a friend I was going to take him to vet. He was crying and following me around and had a seizure from anxiety.”

SHARE this story on Facebook with your friends and family – especially the ones who are animal lovers!